Thursday, February 25, 2010

How can I possibly write about all of this???

Well, I have already completely failed to live up to my promise of blogging more, shorter entries. I'll keep trying though I promise! The good news is that my lack of blogging is not due to complancency but rather a full schedule. Right now an average week consists of futbol on Mondays, intercambio (language exchange) on Tuesdays and Thursdays, gym on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and of course the ample fun and games on the weekend. Add to this list the never-ending exploring of Barcelona, meeting new people, planning trips, going on trips, homework, projects, student council (yes, I joined student council), and the many special one-time events (think wine tastings, tapas competitions, etc.), my days are quite full. I did just want to mention in particular how great the intercambio has turned out to be!
When I first met my prospective partner for the language exchange, I had some reservations about how exciting the whole thing was going to be. I was eager to learn Spanish but my partner seemed overly experienced with English (as in the teaching would be disproportionately in my direction), quite introverted (which is not a great quality for something in which talking is the main objective), and even a bit uninterested in me (can you imagine?!). But despite these reservations I reluctantly forced myself to go to the first language exchange telling myself over and over that this is the reason for which I am in Spain!!! Turns out this inner monologue paid off because now I the only thing I can think about my next intecambio session. As I have mentioned in a previous entry, my partner decided that it was a good idea for us to meet up with a group of people that were doing this same sort of language exchange. This group session is put on by "couch surfers" and takes place at a very cool venue: a bar with a very jamaican atmosphere and live reggae music (later at night). Sure this isn't a "Spanish" experience, but Barcelona is a very metropolitan city I have come to enjoy the variety. Anyway, the session essentially consists of several people (some regulars but with new faces every week) kicking back at this very cool bar and enjoying some good conversation... in many different languages. We will speak in Spanish for several minutes or even up to a half hour and then switch to English, offering both sides a chance to practice the sought after language. Other languages like Catalan, Italian, French, and Portugese are also available on occassion. It all really just depends on who shows up. This opportunity has allowed me to not only improve my spanish exponentially and feel more comfortable speaking, but also meet locals and generally interesting people; people with the desire (quien tiene las ganas--as you would say in spanish) to learn another language and expand their horizons. I finally was invited to a local bar by a real-live Spanish person (although she would call herself Catalan, course)!!! You may laugh, but this is no easy feat. The American stigma takes a good scrubbing to really clean up.
One thing that Europe is know quite well for is the long, widely-celebrated period called "Carneval." In just about every European country, city, and even some small towns, you can find a celebration of this period (which changes from region to region). The closest celebration of said Carneval to Barcelona was in a city called Sitges. The locals, teachers, and all the American students all seemed to know that Sitges was the place to be during this particular time of year, especially for the one week celebration of Carneval. This sparked my interest and I did some research into the matter. As it turned out, Sitges is essentially the gay capital of all of Spain and the Carneval celebration consists of a huge parade displaying gay pride, outrageous costumes, and cross-dressing to outlandish proportions. Nonetheless, it had the reputation as one of the best parties and best times for people of any orientation and it seemed that all of IES was going. I decided I couldn't miss out and boy am I glad. Carneval at Sitges, while certainly an eye-opener at times, was an incredibly fun time filled with brightly costumed people from all over the map, there for one reason and one reason alone: to have fun. Music blaring through the air, people dancing in the streets, food and drink in abundance; Carneval was truly a one-of-a-kind experience. Pictures say a thousand words so I would let them do the talking, but unfortunately I have been experiencing some technical difficulties with my laptop. Of course it had to happen here, where there are no apple stores to be found (see Murphy's Law). I will rush to put these pictures (and more) up as soon as it is back in order.
I have much more to tell but must get packing for Valencia! Yes, yes, it is a difficult life. I know you all feel for me. However, I promise there is much more to come in the blogosphere so keep on reading. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Danny,

    If you want the American version of Carnival in the U.S., you might try the gay parade in Greenwich Village one Halloween. Sounds like you are really soaking in the "culture". Keep being fearless about using your Spanish. The locals will be more welcoming if you keep making that effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, life sounds good. When you get back, we're going to have to pick your brain on where to go in Spain. That has to be our next big trip. Perhaps we'll hire you to accompany us as translator? But first, before I decide to go, tell me - what's with the anti-Americanism in Spain? I hope you are dispelling any such notions, and rather, are showing the Catalans that they should be as open-minded as Americans are - generally speaking. Be the ambassador of goodwill, and enjoy yourself. And keep up the reporting - it's good to live vicariously. Gene

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are loving the reporting, Danny. Do you ever have classes? Seems as if there's no time for that with all the other great stuff you are doing. Life back here in the states is so pedestrian compared to your experiences. Keep the blog going so we can continue to share in the fun.

    ReplyDelete